Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sweet Bun Dough

If you ask me to choose between bread and rice, I would always got for bread :p
My mum used to say I'm the 'kwai lou' type of people who can survive only on bread and without rice. I think even my kids got that from me too except for ANGEL, she likes to eat plain rice with hot soup. My boys would chose bread and pasta over rice anytime when my Mum-in-law (MIL) asked for opinion on what to cook for the day.
My MIL used to tell me, "You better learn to make bread or buns since your kids just loves them so much'. she also said that" it's not that hard actually, just master the kneading and one type of dough, and that's all you need". At first I don't really get what she meant, as I was wondering to myself, how can just one type of dough will cover the whole list of all the types of buns my kids like....??? Then, I decided to do a little research, and search the internet to see what are the types of dough normally used to make those 'list of buns' that my kids would love.......and the answer is "Sweet Bun Dough" is all you need to know.....and you can transform that into any type of toppings or fillings you wished, even any shapes and sizes you want too ^-^
I though that would be really interesting. Then the other day,my MIL made some 'Sausage Buns' for the kids, and I was so tempted to try and make some too. I googled and googled and found a number of 'Basic Sweet Bun Dough" recipes from a few bloggers. I printed it all down , made some comparisons and decided to try the ones that is the simplest.

My kids are also a big fan of bread and buns. The eldest would love anything with Tuna Mayo in it, the Twins will go for Curry Tuna and Angel just love plain white sandwich
bread or Sausage buns. Therefore, because I have so many breadlovers in the house, I'm definitely going to give it a try. So, after gathering all my ingredients, here is my first buns making attempt :P  The 'Basic Sweet Bun Dough' recipe that I have chosen is from CookingMomster. Thanks to her, as this first attempt did not failed me , but indeed gave me such big encouragement and I'm going to bake more of buns and bread in the future......Yippee!!! Thanks to you, 'CookingMomster' for sharing this awesome recipe!!



BASIC SWEET BUN DOUGH

Ingredients :                            For glazing:
330gm        high protein flour      1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp       salt
1 1/2 tbsp   milk powder
60gm          castor sugar             For filling:
1 tsp           bread improver       Chicken sausages / frankfurters (I made my fillings with Curry Tuna ,Grated Cheddar Cheese)                                                  
1   
          egg
120ml      water
10gm       instant yeast
40gm       butter

Method:
1. Mixed water and instant yeast together and set aside.
2. Combine high protein flour, bread improver, salt, milk powder and castor sugar into a mixing bowl. Using a 'S' hook, mix all the ingredient together for about a minute then add in the yeast mixture with water and egg. Mixed again to form a dough and then add in the butter and give it another mix for about 10 minutes.
3. Remove the dough and knead the dough with hand for about 30 minutes or until the dough has a smooth surface. Check the dough whether it is fully developed by stretching a small piece of dough with your fingers. When the dough can be stretch into a thin layer without tearing, then it is ready.
4. Remove dough and cover the dough with a damp cloth. Leave bowl in a warm place and let it proof for about 40 minutes till it double its size.
5. Divide dough into 50gm portions. Flatten and roll out each portion into a longish shape.
6. Place sausages in the centre, roll up and seal. Arrange on a greased baking tray, well spaced apart. Cover and rest for the next 40 minutes until the buns double its size again.
7. Glaze with beaten egg wash and bake the buns in a preheated oven at 180`C for 15 - 20 minutes.
Give it a try, it's fun and you'll find that it's a lot of satisfaction when you saw the end result ......:) Happy 'Buns' baking!

No comments: