Friday, January 8, 2010

Butter Cake ........with Sunsweet Pitted Prunes

Today I made another cake from the "I Love Butter Cake" cookbook by Kevin Chai. This book has got a lot of awesome recipes and I like it very much. The best thing I like about this book is that it calls for very simple ingredients that you can easily get it from any cake ingredient shop.
Coming to why Prune Butter Cake today is........because I have a packet of Sunsweet Pitted Prune sitting in my fridge for almost a week now after Angelica deserted it....hehe, so before it hit the expiry date, I had better make full use of it ^_^
So, without much thought, I knew I have seen a recipe of Prune Butter Cake in my cookbook , and that's how this cake was baked. I kinda like this cake's turnout because it's not very sweet (as I have done an adjustment to the sugar), the prune in a butter cake makes it very appetizing , it's not one of those very rich butter cake and it's moist and soft in texture......good even the next day ;)
Happy Prune Butter Cake Baking !

Prune Butter Cake
Ingredients
200gm unsalted butter
100gm margarine
200gm castor sugar (I used only 170gm)
1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs
300gm plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
200gm pitted prunes (I used Sunsweet Pitted Prunes, and I sliced it very thinly, not whole as in the cookbook)
2 Tbsp Strawberry fruit jam  - for decorating ( I opted this out)

Method
  1. Grease and line a 20cm (8 inch) baking pan, preheat oven to 175~C / 350~F.
  2. Beat butter, margarine, sugar and salt until light and fluffy.
  3. Add in eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
  4. Fold in sifted flour and baking powder, mix well.
  5. Arrange prunes onto baking tray. (I sliced my prunes, therefore I added it into the batter and stir it in to mix well ) and spread the batter into the baking pan. 
  6. * If you are decorating , then pipe diagonal lines on the top and put it into the oven to bake for 40 minutes or until cooked.
  7. Leave it in the baking pan to cool for awhile, then slowly transfer to the wire rack to cool completely, ready to serve!

No comments: