Do you have cravings that sometimes makes you wonder.....are you pregnant? Hahaha....nah, definitely not me, I meant pregnant....I'm 101% not pregnant, and this craving comes because it's missing this particular ingredients too much.....and that is 'CHEESE'!! Yes, I haven't been making anything cheesy lately, hmm.....funny, why? In fact I do have a big block of Philadelphia Cream Cheese sitting in my fridge, if I'm not mistaken , since January, unopen :p
Ok, that is normally not like me, I would never let a piece of cheese or chocolate sit in my fridge untouched for so long.....sigh! I knew why, I was busy with cake orders in January and then , there was the Chinese New Year, and then my SiL's wedding, and then.......cake orders again......never ending it seems!! Well, today I get a weekend of free time to myself with no orders to bake, in fact it's already done last night, waiting for collection only :)
I finally get to use my cheese and bake something........but am just too lazy to heat up the oven on a really humid and hot Saturday afternoon, especially.........the kitchen where my baking is done.....always wets me in sweat, duh!! How I wish I can renovate this place and fix an air-cond in it........OK, stop the dreaming and start the baking, kekekeke :P
NON-BAKE 'KAHLUA' CHEESECAKE (Yields a 8"inch Round Springform pan)
1 small pack of Malteser candies - crushed (OK, I don't have these, as I wouldn't have let any pack of Maltesers sit in my fridge for more than 10 seconds :P)
160gm crushed digestive biscuits
80gm butter, melted
250gm Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened (I used 300gm to satisfy my craving, kekeke)
1 tsp vanilla extract
30ml Kahlua (should have double-dose it)
200ml dairy whipping cream
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup boiling water
1 1/2 Tbsp gelatine powder (I would use 1 Tbsp +1/8 tsp in future as I find that the texture is too solid)
1 Tbsp butter
50gm dark chocolate
- For the Base : mix the crushed Maltesers and biscuits with melted butter together. Press with the back of a spoon to evenly smooth the base of an 8" inch springform pan. Place the base into the freezer for about an hour or so, while you prepare the filling .
- Put the boiling water into a bowl and sprinkle the gelatine powder evenly, leave to 'bloom' for about 2 mins. Stir to dissolve.
- In microwave , melt the butter and chocolate in a 30 sec burst, stir to combine. (I used 'double -boil instead as I don't like to use the microwave oven to melt things :(
- In a mixer, or if you prefer a whisk, whip the whipping cream till medium peak form and then chill it in the fridge. (Pls take note that while you whisk the whipping cream, 'DO NOT OVER WHISK' or else you will see the cream seperating and that is ruin!!)
- In the same mixer bowl (as suggested by Rima, you don't need to wash it) , cream the cheese and sugar on high speed until smooth, beat in the lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the gelatine mixture and beat in to combine. Fold in the whipping cream and remove your base from the freezer.
- Pour about 1 /4 of the batter into the chocolate mixture, stir to mix.
- Mix in your Kahlua to the 'white cheese batter' until fully combine. Pour about half of the batter into the tin, add half of the chocolate batter, swirl to combine. Add other half of the white cheese batter , then top with a spoonful of the remaining chocolate batter , swirling to marble patterns.
- Chill overnight , and to serve, run a knife along the sides of the cake to unmould it, and 'voila'.......enjoy!!
p/s: You will find that my cheesecake did not have the swirls , as I was getting a little heated up already in the kitchen, so just add the chocolate mixture to the white cheese batter and then add the Kahlua, and stir to combine all........hehe, sorry!! But, the outcome of the cheesecake is still 'satisfying'!