Tuesday, March 8, 2011

CHOCOLATE BOTTOM BANANA SQUARES


I know what you have in mind......exactly what I have in mind too when I received these 'ugly-dark skinned over-riped bananas' from my FiL. According to him, a friend gave him like.......4 to 5 bunches few days ago, and they were already a bit ripe at that time......so after a few days has gone by you can see how ugly they got.....LOL
I personally don't fancy bananas especially if you ask me to eat them like that.....I mean as a fruit. I would choose anything else but bananas. The funny thing is if they were bake into cakes.......then its different, haha.......crazy woman you might think. Ya, well, I totally agree to it myself :P


Anyway, I got these bananas last Saturday from my FiL, and I already baked a 'Banana Walnut Cake' for my sister and also my Hubby's Tai Yee the same day. Unfortunately, I was in a rush to fetch my son from his basketball practice, so once the cake got out of the oven I quickly packed it and sent over to my in-laws house where the two ladies are having their weekly 'dry-swimming' session there. My bad, I did not snap a shot of the cake, it was actually a very fluffy, rich and nice one though. Don't worry, I 'll definitely bake it again someday when I was being given 'lots of over-riped bananas' by my FiL, hehe.....
The reason why I baked banana cake again today is because I still have some of the bananas in the fridge from the last bake. Since my FiL complaint yesterday that he did not get to taste the Banana Cake I baked yesterday, because the two ladies quickly wrapped up the cake and kept it away from him,  LOL........I told him I'll bake another one for him today........and so I did :)

Instead of baking the same Banana Cake I did on Saturday, I decided to bake this one as I just got this awesome recipe few days ago from here. Now that I have a good excuse to bake it, why not, haha!! Seriously, you must try it, the cake texture is awesomely 'soft and fluffy'....almost fragile I would say, :P

Here's the recipe that I did with a little changes, however if you want the original one, you can kindly hit on the above link ;)

CHOCOLATE BOTTOM BANANA SQUARES
130gm Butter, softened
140gm castor sugar (I reduced it from the initial 225gm)
1 egg , lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 -4 medium ripe bananas, mashed or pureed
190gm plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
A pinch of salt
30gm good quality cocoa powder
1/2 cups chocolate chips (I reduced from the initial 1 cup)
2 Tbsp milk 

Method: 
  1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  2. Add in the egg, vanilla essence and then the mashed / pureed bananas, beating thoroughly.
  3. Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate soda and salt. Slowly add into the mixture in a few batch until well mixed.
  4. Divide the batter into half.  Add the cocoa powder to one portion of the batter and mix well.
  5. Evenly spread the cocoa batter on a lightly greased and lined with parchment paper 8" inch square baking tin.
  6. Spread the remaining plain batter on top and gently swirl it with a knife. Lightly  sprinkle the top with chocolate chips.
  7. Bake at 180 degree Celsius for about 30 minutes or the tester comes out clean when inserted to the centre of the cake.
  8. Cool on the wire rack before cutting them into squares and serve.

Happy Baking!


3 comments:

WendyinKK said...

It really does look fragile. But then that'll mean it's really soft and fluffy.

DG said...

Great combo & looks yummy!

Mumto4Angels said...

Wendy - Yes, it's really is fluffy :)

DG - Thanks!