Saturday, October 17, 2009

Tiramisu (2 of 4)


"Pick me Up" this phrase is so true for Tiramisu.......as the temptation of picking up a piece of this cake is really hard to resist. I have fell in love with Tiramisu the very first time I tasted a piece in one of the 5 –star resort in Kota Kinabalu, and from then on........I just can't stop having a bite of it each time I saw a piece of Tiramisu being served. I used to begged my Hubby to make me a Tiramisu cake when he was still working in the hotel industry, as he has all the utensils and ingredients he needed. But........he never did , as his main excuse is "it's very tedious and a lot of work lah"......huh!

So, I finally get to really put my hands to making this cake now , all on my own, and I wanted to proved to him, that it's not as tedious as he used to say it is. Hahaha, but deep down, I am quite scared too that it will not turn out right, and he will laugh at me for my stubbornness........as he has already branded me as the 'most stubborn person he has ever known'.......:P

Tiramisu, here I come, and guessed what? IT turned out in perfect shape, perfect taste and I got praised by those who have tasted a piece of it..........thanks guys, for giving me that boost of confidence.....xoxo

Here's the recipe for "Pick Me Up' Tiramisu.....this recipe is a sure-keeper! Happy baking!

'PICK ME UP' TIRAMISU

Ingredient

A pot of strong coffee (Espresso preferably) but I used Nescafe ....:P

3 tbsp Brandy , I don't have Brandy at home so I used coffee liquor - Kahlua

2 large eggs

3 tbsp castor sugar

250gm Mascarpone Cheese , I substituted with 250gm Philadelphia Cream Cheese

250ml thickened cream

150gm dark Cocoa powder

500gm Savoiardi (lady fingers/ sponge biscuits)

Method:


  1. Make a pot of strong coffee, pour into a dish or bowl and allow to cool before adding the Brandy / Kahlua in.
  2. Seperate the eggs, and set aside the whites.
  3. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks and the castor sugar together until pale and thick.
  4. Add in the mascarpone / cream cheese and mix until combined.
  5. In another bowl, whip the cream and then fold in to the egg, sugar and cheese mixture.
  6. In the third bowl, beat the egg whites into soft peaks and then quickly fold into the cake mix.
  7. Sprinkle a thin layer of cocoa powder into a large serving dish.
  8. Dip the biscuits into the coffee mixture, taking care not to over soak them for too long, before placing in the serving dish.
  9. Continue dipping biscuits and placing in the dish, creating a layer of soaked biscuits. Dust with a sprinkling of cocoa powder.
  10. Spread a thick layer of the cake mixture over the layer of biscuits before dusting with another sprinkling of cocoa powder.
  11. Place another layer of soaked biscuits in the dish, again sprinkling with cocoa powder.
  12. Smooth the rest of the cake mixture in a thick layer over the second biscuit layer. Again, sprinkle with cocoa powder.
  13. Place in the refrigerator and allow to set. Do not serve for at least 3 hours, for the best flavour, leave it for 24 hours. Enjoy!

No comments: