Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Chocolate Cupcakes

September 14, 2009 - Haha, sounds a bit funny right to hear that I have a birthday project in hand......I was a bit skeptical at first , but decided to give it a try. Angel was asking for a 'princess' birthday cake for her birthday since she saw this 'princess birthday cake' being sold at one of the cake corner at City Mall. Gosh, the cake is so expensive......it's a normal marble cake with a doll decoration, and is selling at RM98 - RM110. I was really not a cake person, so buying a cake with that amount of money, I would felt that it's not worth it at all...........I would rather use that RM110 to get her something that she likes.
So, that's when I decided to outbid that challenge., to make a birthday cake with doll on it..........hehe. So I submitted my leave approval to apply for a day off on the 14th Sept, a day before Angel's birthday. Having a listing of what I'm going to do, to buy and to prepare.....geez, this is going to be fun, I guessed :P
I went to do little shopping, bought the ingredients I need to make the 40 chocolate cupcakes, and also a butter cake and also some tidbits and snacks for the children party pack. So, the day came I was pretty excited myself. I sent Angel to school in the morning and didn't tell her a word about my project, but did leak a few words to my boys that I will be on-leave to day to get ready something for their little sister's birthday.
I started at 9am with the rolled fondant ( that I made 2 days ago). Firstly, I moulded the body, then the head, and the hands for the 'Hello Kitty' figurines (it doesn't look like HK to me though), and the tiny 40 pieces of each are done.

Next, I made the 'Chocolate Cupcakes'  where I got the recipe from the 'Cupcake Design' by Bake With Yen (KL) Sdn Bhd book that I bought from Bake With Me cake ingredients shop in Lintas Plaza. The cupcakes turned out really nice, and chocolaty too, and I presumed the kids will just love it. While waiting for the cupcakes to cool, I quickly get the batter for the 'Butter Cake' ready, and set it to bake. This will be for Angel's "Little Mermaid" birthday cake.
Here's the recipes for the Chocolate Cupcakes and the Butter Cake, it's really easy to make, even for a starter like me, hehe.


Chocolate Cupcake
Ingredients
(A)
240gm butter
350gm fine granulated sugar (I use only 150gm castor sugar)
150gm eggs
1 tsp vanilla esssence

(B)
170gm cake flour ) (I used self raising flour and omitted the baking powder)
75gm cocoa powder)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder) sift these 3 items together

(C)
150ml milk

Method
  1. Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  2. One at a time beat in the eggs, then beat in the vanilla essence.
  3. Alternatively ass in the sifted flour mixture and the milk, starting and finishing with the flour mixture.
  4. Scoop batter in the baking cups until 2/3 full.
  5. Bake at 180~C for 20-25 minutes.

Butter Cake
Ingredients
180 - 200gm Self raising flour
80gm Castor sugar
250gm butter
5 large eggs

Method:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 180~C.
  2. Sift the flour. In another bowl, beat the eggs to mix well.
  3. Beat the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and slowly add in the egg. Beat until the mixture turned pale in colour.
  4. Then slowly add in the flour and continue mixing until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
  5. Pour into a cake tin and bake for 30-45 minutes until until the skewer comes out clean.

No comments: