Wednesday, May 12, 2010

PATE A CHOUX WITH FRESH WHIPPED CREAM



*Sigh*………I know how discouraging it is to start a line with a sigh……LOL….no lah, that was exactly how I felt on Tuesday morning when I went to work……I guessed it's the lazy bugs visiting. I posted how lousy I felt in status bar in Facebook, and a few friends suggested I should go home tonight and bake the hell out of it……..LOL….which I seldom do, because I always bake when I'm feeling happy, not when I'm feeling lousy…………………well, that's because I think I'm just afraid that what I bake will fail me and it will make me feel even lousier :P…………………..but since these two friends (JB and CW) suggested, I gave it a try, and planned out nicely what I wanted to bake for tonight…….and I chosed "Pate a Choux" or also known as "Choux Pastry".


The reason why I chosed Pate a Choux / Choux Pastry is because I have a DB Challenge to accomplish by 28th of this month and the theme this month is to bake 'Pate a Choux' to make a piece of "Montee" (a mounted piece of Croquembouche that comprises only Choux Pastries). So, since I still have some time to brush up on my skill in making this Pate a Choux (as some of you may know, my 1st attempt in making Pate a Choux failed as the Choux does not puff, it sink so sadly and badly L) before I carry out the challenge, I'll use this night as a trial.
Therefore, the recipe I used to make this Choux Pastry is actually the recipe given by the DB host of May, and it is a recipe that she adapted it from Peter Kump's Baking School in Manhattan by Chef Nick Malgieri. This recipe is a sure keeper as I can tell you now, my 2nd attempt turned out really good, the structure of the Choux was so solid, but the texture inside of it was soft, and even until the 3rd day (today) as I still have some left in a container I stored in the fridge. As this was baked quite late at night, I finished baking at around 10.30pm, so didn't have enough time to make the Crème Patissiere, so I just filled it with whipped cream and dusted icing sugar on top……..and they kids just loved it, they bring these to school for 2 days in a row now……..:P

Happy 'Pate a Choux' Baking………^_^

Pate a Choux (Yield: About 28) (I got 26 as mine was slightly bigger)
¾ cup water
85gm unsalted butter
¼ tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
125gm all-purpose flour
4 large eggs


For Egg Wash: 1 egg and pinch of salt

Preparing batter:
  1. Preheat oven to 425~F/ 220~C, and lined 2 baking tray with parchment papers.
  2. Combine water, butter, salt and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and stir occasionally. At boil, remove from heat and sift in the flour, stirring to combine completely.
  3. Return to heat and cook, stirring constantly until the batter dries slightly and begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
  4. Transfer to a bowl and stir with a wooden spoon for 1 minute to cool slightly.
  5. Add 1 egg and the batter will appear loose and shiny. Keep stirring and as you stir, the batter will become dry-looking like lightly buttered mashed potatoes. It is at this point that you will add in the next egg and repeat until you have incorporated all the eggs.
Piping:
  1. Transfer batter to a pastry bag fitted with a large open tip.
  2. Pipe choux about 1 inch-part on the baking sheets. Choux should be about 1 inch high and about 1 inch wide.
  3. Using a clean finger dipped in hot water, gently press down on any tips that have formed on the top of the choux when piping.
  4. Brush tops with egg wash (1 egg lightly beaten with pinch of salt).
  5. Bake the choux at 425◦F/220◦C degrees until well-puffed and turning lightly golden in color, about 10 minutes.
  6. Lower the temperature to 350◦F/180◦C degres and continue baking until well-colored and dry, about 20 – 25 minutes more. Remove to a rack and cool. The Choux can be stored in a airtight box overnight.
     
Happy Choux Pastry Baking !


    No comments: