Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Hinava.......something very local



Here I am again, crazily craving for something really weird! I'm a 100% Chinese but craving for something really Kadazan.......hahaha, told you I can be really crazy at times :P
Anyone heard about this local delicacy called "Hinava"?? If you are a Kadazan or Sino- Kadazan, this is nothing unusual to you, right? But I also heard my friend saying that there is a Philippine version of this dish, where they add papaya into it......hmm, I would not think I'll like that.


Anyway, to cut things short, I know there are already a few people waiting for this post to be uploaded since the day I posted my Hinava picture in my Facebook page 2 days ago. Sorry ladies, you know I'm always lagging in my blogging updates, however, this is still fresh as the dish itself.....hehe. Oh by the way, this recipe I got it form my best friend , Marilynda, thanks 'Pu Ngiong'....hehehe


Hinava.....a very local delicacy
Ingredients
- About 600-700gm of Tenggiri fish meat, de-boned it, cut into small slices, make sure its really fresh
- Lime juice from about 5 - 6 lime, enough to cover the fish meat in a bowl
- Red shallots, chopped to very small pieces
- Bitter gout , thinly slice, rub with salt, let it soaked for awhile, then rinse with warm water to get rid of the bitter taste
- 1 big chilli, cut into small pieces
- A small piece of ginger, grated and squeeze out the juice of about 2 tsp
- 1-2 Tbsp of Bambanggan seed, you can get this in the local market (tamu)
- Salt and  MSG to taste






Method

  1. Clean and slice the fish meat to small slices, rinse quickly with some hot water, taking care not to cook it. 
  2. In a medium size bowl, put in the fish meat, chillies, shallots, Bambanggan seed and pour in the lime juice, enough to cover the surface of the fish meat. Stir and thoroughly mixed and blend well all the ingredients. You will be able to see that the fish meat is slowly changing its color after being cooked by the marination of the lime juice.
  3. Add in the bitter gout  and ginger juice and stir to mix in. Then add your salt and MSg to taste according to your liking.
  4. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate it overnight for better taste and marination. 
hope you like the combination of this recipe, according to Marilynda, some people like to add 'chilli padi' into it for a little spicy taste. Well its all up to your taste bud, you can even try adding papaya, just like the Philippine version of Hinava...hehe. Tell me how you like this dish ya  ;)

Till then, ciao!


No comments: