It has been raining and raining for weeks already in KK……..sunny in the morning and all so cloudy in the afternoon starting around 3pm, and heavy downpour will start after that. Hmm…..weather like this will make a lot of people falling sick for no reason….just like me! I suddenly lost my voice 2 days ago and I can't think of what I have done or eaten that caused the loss……..some friends suggested that I stopped baking for awhile as they thought I might have been baking and eating at the same time, especially when the things are still hot and heaty right out of the oven……….no lah, I usually don't eat what I baked, only taste testing and that means…..only a small bite leh.Then, Hubby was saying maybe I screamed at the kids too much during the holidays…….since I'm at home with them most of the time, well OK…….maybe a little, but not until I lost my voice…….anyway, I would blamed it on the crazy ever-changing weather for this! But….who cares! The baking still goes on as that is what I like……..LOL.
So last night after the heavy rain……..I felt so lazy and sleepy (hey, it's only 7.45pm), then I thought maybe I'll bake something to keep me awake….and the good excuse is….baking for breakfast tomorrow, I know that is not a good excuse to bake, but well, now that the kids are on school holiday…..I have no one ordering me to bake for recess time, not until they goes back to school in another 1 weeks time. As I have gathered these varieties of Chiffon Cakes recipes, different flavors and all looking so yummy, how can I resist baking them? So I chosed 'Marble Chiffon Cake' tonight…….and the rest will follow next :P
I found this recipe here and I have also gathered a few more for the line-up…….the outcome, I must tell you the very truth…..it's super soft, super light and it tears like cotton……if you know what I meant, when you eat……… you must try and definitely a keeper !! I must say I did not follow exactly the method stated in the recipe, so I'm not going to put in word by word as that would not be fair, so the method is according to what I did ^-^
MARBLE CHIFFON CAKE
(for 21cm tube tin)
Ingredients for egg white mixture:
180gm egg whites (approximately from 5-6 eggs)
90gm castor sugar
Ingredients for egg yolk mixtures:
70gm egg yolks (from 3-4 eggs)
60gm vegetable oil (I used Canola Oil)
70gm + 10gm Plain flour (I used Superfine flour because my plain flour ran out)
20gm caster sugar
8gm Cocoa powder (I used 1 Tbsp)
- Beat the egg whites in a clean dry bowl until frothy, add in the sugar tablespoon by tablespoon. Then add in the cornflour and beat until the egg whites forms stiff peak. Set aside.
- Mix the egg yolks, water and oil together until well combined. Add in the 70gm flour and 20gm sugar and mix well until the mixtures is smooth and creamy.
- Divide the egg yolk mixture to two equal portion in two separate bowl (A and B).
- Pre heat oven to 170~C and place rack in the centre of the oven.
- In bowl (A), mix in the 10gm flour and mix well.
- In bowl (B), mix the 8gm cocoa powder into it and mix well.
- Divide the egg whites into 2 equal portion and fold in to bowl (A) and bowl (B). Make sure to gently fold in to get a well blended mixture, avoiding not to over mix and breaking up the meringue too much.
- Pour the 1/3 of the (A) into the ungreased 21cm tube tin, then followed by (B), use a skewer to swirl it.
- Then repeat with the (A) and then (B) and swirl again until you get all the batter into the tube tin. Bake at preheated oven for 50-55 minutes or until your cake tester inserted to the centre comes out clean.
- Invert the cake immediately after removing from the oven and let it cool completely before unmolding it from the tube tin. Enjoy!
Happy Chiffon Cake baking !!