First of all, I would like to wish all the Kadazan-Dusun friends of mine a very "Happy Harvest Festival" or "Kotobian Tadau Kaamatan"………and that means it's public holiday for us and this year, it falls on a Sunday and Monday (30th and 31st of May) and we get an extra day in replacement of the Sunday. Wow, we haven't had this for quite some time already……..those who have planned well ahead, would have gone overseas for a vacation. As for me and my family, we had no special plans but just staying back at home to rest have some quality family time. Me? I baked almost everyday starting from the 29th since it was a Saturday……:P This blog is going to talk about what I baked on the 30th and that is "Cheese Sticks" ( I called it Cheese Strips instead). This is one of my little girl's favourite bread and she will not miss buying it each time she sees it. So, this is for you, Angelica sweetie J
I just love to bake bread and buns, I think I have said this many times and you might have this phrase sunk deep inside your head already…..but sorry to repeat it again……, hehe ^_^ but I still do……especially when I have the whole day to do it. This time I have chosen to use 'Alex Goh's - The World of Bread' cookbook from my mini library to make the 'Sweet Bun Dough' or what he called 'Straight Dough'.
Sweet Bun Dough / Straight Dough
480gm Bread flour
120gm Plain flour
110gm Castor sugar
20gm Milk powder
4 tsp Instant Yeast
300ml Cold water
60gm Butter, softened
*Grated Cheddar Cheese
Method for Bread:
- Mix (A) till well blended.
- Add (B) and knead to form a dough. (Remember to add the water bit by bit until you can get the dough to not stick to your hands, and not too soft. Sometimes you might find that you don't need to use all the water, because different flour brand, has different water absorption level).
- Add (C), continue to knead to form a smooth and elastic dough.
- Cover the dough with clear film or a damp kitchen towel. Let it prove for 50-60 minutes, or until it double its size.
- Use your finger, dip into flour and press into the centre of the dough. It should show a clear finger dip mark, but the dough should not sink. The finger mark should stay there too.
- Divide the dough into 60gm portions and mould them into balls. Leave them to rest for 10 minutes.
- Flatten the dough balls lightly using the palm of your hand on a flat work surface to release out all the air bubbles, and roll them out into 30cm long strips.
- Place them in a greased baking tray and put in a warm place to prove for 45 minutes.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with some grated Cheddar Cheese, then with sugar on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190~C for 12 minutes, or until golden brown, in the middle rack of the oven. Ready to serve.
Happy Buns Baking………^_^