Saturday, September 22, 2012

Durian Tarts


Its been awhile, I felt lazy updating my blog, as I guess I just have so many things to say, and it's kinda hard for me to put them in words to share it with you.  However,I owe it you guys who are a loyal follower of my blogs.......and to compensate it all, here's a really good recipe that I recently tried , which I plucked it out from one of the old cookbook owned by my MiL, hehe



Durian Tarts
Tart crust ingredients:-
240gm plain flour
50gm castor sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
125gm butter, cold and cut into cubes
1 egg

Filling ingredients:-
150ml evaporated milk
4 'Grade A' eggs
140gm durian flesh
100gm caster sugar
250ml water
10gm instant custard powder

To prepare the crust:-
  1. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
  2. Add in the cold cubed butter and rub with your fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs.
  3. Add in the egg and mix until it becomes a ball of dough.
  4. Press the dough into a tart mould, trimming off the edges and the excess with a knife.
  5. Blind bake with some beans on a preheated oven of 180 degree Celsius for about 10-12 minutes.
  6. Remove from the oven and put on a wire rack to cool , remove the beans.
To prepare the filling :-
  1. Combine the durian flesh with castor sugar, custard powder, water and evaporated milk, whisk until well blended. 
  2. Add in eggs, using an electric blender, just pulse the mixture to allow the durian flesh to be pureed, do not blend too long as lots of air bubbles will appear on the tart surface later when baking.
  3. Transfer the mixture to a jar and fill each tart casing with 3/4 full.
  4. Bake on a preheated oven at 200 degree Celsius for 20 minutes or until the durian egg mixture looks set. 
  5. Let cool on the wire rack for about 10 minutes before turning the tarts out of the mould.
Hope you like this, as my family loves it so much, the tarts actually disappear so fast, I had to hide a few for photo taking, LOL....Oh yes, the picture below is the second batch that I made the day after, and this time I made the tarts slightly smaller in size......perfect for a bite-size :)


Till then, enjoy and see you soon!


No comments: