For me, the English New Year was celebrated with some feasting in the house alongside some close friends and relatives.Then, for this Chinese New Year, you would be surprise to hear that I'm not baking or preparing as much as i did in the previous years, well.........hehe, I'm going AWAY this Chinese New Year, and that is why I'm taking the 'IDLE" mode this time to not jam myself with too many bakings for the celebration. I will be away with my 'family' (hubby and the 4 kids) for a 'first-ever' holiday , just US on a plane , hehehe, hahaha......sounded so sad, and yet so happy right? LOL......
Well, don't be surprise to hear my quoting 'first-ever', as seriously, Hubby never gets to be in the 'holiday plan' if it was not in Chinese New Year, and HE is never the type that likes to fly........so 'DUH', you know what I meant :P
But, hey, guess what.....as 'man' grows older, they tends to appreciate the 'quality time spend with family (wife and kids) and start to realize that , $$$$ is not everything, kekeke.........and he made the proposal to go off to somewhere so we can have some 'family quality time' together. You bet, the moment I heard this proposal, I switched on my VAIO laptop then and bought whatever the destination is on the screen , not too expensive and not too far, as we have only 4D3N ........hehe, and the destination was picked , though it's not overseas, but a good start, for Hubby at least , wink*
Ok, enough of my blah-blah-blah, hehe, knew you would be bored by that. So, like I said earlier, I did not do much baking since I'm away, I only baked Lemon Cornflakes Cookies (as I'm quite bored with the usual tradition of baking "pineapple tarts/ cookies" .....so for a change, I baked something else, :p (although MiL still baked a batch of it). Well, wishing everyone a very happy "Tuan Yuan" dinner and I'm off now to do some last minute packing and checking before we head out tomorrow early morning to the airport....toodles!
Lemon Cornflakes Cookies
275gm Cornflakes , crushed to bits (but I managed to find this 'tiny' baby sized cornflakes that saves me from crushing)
200gm butter, room temperature
100gm castor sugar
150gm HK flour
1 Tbsp full cream milk powder
2 egg yolks
1 tsp Emplex (optional, but I used)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp lemon juice
1Tbsp lemon zest
- Cream butter, shortening and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Add in the egg yolks one by one mixing well.
- Add in the Emplex, if you are using, then the baking powder, blending in well and then add in the lemon juice and zest.
- Stir in the flour, folding in and make sure that it is all completely well mixed and smooth. (I did this part by hand, not the mixer)
- Pour the cornflakes into a big bowl, set aside.
- Using a piping bag, place the cookie batter into the piping bag, snip off a 0.5cm tip and pipe a small dollop into the bowl of cornflakes. Using your hands, roll them around until they are neatly covered with cornflakes, place them on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in preheated oven at 150~Celsius for about 20-30 minutes, depending on individual oven.
- Completed cool on a wire rack before storing them in an airtight container.
Happy Chinese New Year to you all!!!