I have been quite busy for the postpone week preparing for Angel's 7th birthday party and then it was Ian's UPSR examination on the 13th-15th Sept. Well, like all mothers, I felt like I'm the one sitting for the examination instead, duh! I has sleepless nights thinking if Ian would be able to answer all the questions in time, would he know how to do, this and that. Anyway, I'm seriously relief the day the exam came to an end, phew!!!!
Well, sounds like I should indeed celebrate about it, right? LOL........OK then, let's cook up something 'wholesome' to feed the whole family. I bought this cookbook called 'Granny's Favourites' by Love Food" a month ago and haven't yet got a chance to try anything from it. I have decided to try the "Sherperd's Pie" as the picture on the book looks just awesomely delicious, and knowing that Sherperd's Pie called for 'minced lamb meat'......woohoo, lamb is my second favorite after beef in meat list, :)
So, right after work on Saturday (half-day until 12.30noon), I headed straight to Consfood and bought a packet of minced lamb meat that weighs about 670gm per packet. I can't wait to get started and quickly head home after that.
Here is the recipe that I followed, of course I changed and altered a little to suit my taste, hehe.....
1 Tbsp Olive oil ( I used my normal Canola Cooking oil)
2 onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
675gm good-quality minced lamb meat ( I used only 670gm)
2 carrots, finely chopped
1 Tbsp plain flour
225ml beef / chicken stock
125ml red wine (I didn't use this as I don't have red wine in the house)
Salt & pepper, to taste
for Mashed Potato
675gm potatoes, peeled and cut into even sized chunks
2 Tbsp cream / milk (I used Anchor Whipping Cream)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius/ 350 degree Farenheit. Heat the oil in a large casserole dish and fry the onion until softened, then add the garlic and stir well.
- Raise the heat and add the meat. Cook quickly to brown the meat all over, stirring constantly. Add the carrots and season well with salt and pepper. Stir in the flour and add the stock and wine (if using). Stir well and heat until simmering and thickened.
- Cover the casserole dish with aluminium foil and cook in the oven for about 50 - 60 minutes. Check the consistency from time to time and add a little more stock or wine if required. The meat mixture should be quite thick but not dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- While the meat is cooking, make the mashed potato. Cook the potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 15-20 mins. Drain well and mash with a potato masher until smooth. Add the butter and cream and season well with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the lamb mixture into an ovenproof serving dish and spread or pipe the mashed potato on top.
- Increase the oven temperature to 200 degree Celsius and cook the pie for about 15 -20 minutes at the top rack of the oven until golden brown.
trust me.......you'll love it!!