Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Portugese Egg Tarts.....for the first time



On Monday, my eldest son , Ian is sitting for his SPM. Gosh! I have a 17 year old son sitting for SPM, does that reminds me that I'm quite elderly already? LOL Kidding, I admit I'm in my mid 40s, but what's more important is I'm living my life to the fullest with no regrets!! Hope you all are the same too!

I'm sending my best wishes to all Malaysian Form 5 students who are sitting for their SPM, may you all score with flying colors and best of luck!!

As I haven't try making Portugese Egg Tarts before, I came across this recipe that I saw in Youtube under the blogger name Kitchen Tigress. She made it look so simple in the YouTube video on how she made these "Macau Style Portugese Egg Tarts" , and that caught my immediate attention, and I said , "Let's do it", since I have all the ingredients in my pantry. And another good thing is that her recipe only makes 9 tarts, and since this is my first time making Portugese Egg Tarts, 9 tarts is good enough to feed everyone in the house to try test and give comments, LOL
Btw, I do wish to thank this Kitchen Tigress on her generosity in sharing her recipe online in Youtube and in her blog, but somehow, I felt that she wouldn't care less if I make a comment in her blog or video saying my Thank you. Those of you who knows her, should know what I meant. She is a not so 'friendly' blogger I would be politely say, pretty short tempered too, eventhough I can't see her face, but from her reply to her followers, she doesn't seem to be helpful in teaching, and explaining , but more to critizing and mocking on people's ability in baking. Well, maybe her main intention is posting is to show her credibility instead of really friendly "sharing' and 'teaching' and she does thinks that she knows it all. Anyway, I'll say my Thank you here, ......if she'll see it, LOL


So here are the recipe and ingredients called for:



PORTUGESE EGG TARTS 
Recipe adapted from Kitchen Tigress
Makes 9 tarts

Ingredients
60gm thickened cream / heavy cream
60gm castor sugar
2 egg yolks
1 Tbsp cornflour
260gm Full cream milk

1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
9 frozen puff Pastry shells, cut to fit your tart shell pan

 Method
  1. Custard Filling : Whisk cream, sugar egg yolks , milk and cornflour until smooth. Place pot in a water bath, stir over medium low heat until thick enough to coat the back of your wooden spoon.
  2. Add vanilla essence and stir mixture until is half cool and leave it to cool completely.
  3. Preheat oven to 250 C , line the baking tray with aluminum foil. This is to prevent the custard from overflowing while baking onto the tray.
  4. Roll out your puff pastry from the freezer and cut according to the size of your tart pan / tin and place slightly apart on the baking tray.
  5. Fill shells with the custard to 5mm from the rim.
  6. Bake until the crust is brown, and the custard is burnt and stop bubbling. This may take about 30 to 35 minutes , depending on individual oven. It is advisable to check every 10 minutes and rotate the tray as required so that all egg tarts will brown evenly.
  7. Remove egg tarts from the oven to place on the wire rack to cool. Serve within hours while the pastry are still warm and crispy. 
Happy Baking!

No comments: