Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake



Today was being declared a Public Holiday as our new Agung is being coronate. To the kids, it was the best of news was a holiday is being announced. For us who are chasing datelines, another unforeseen holiday means another day of delayed work, haha.
Well, no matter what, we just take it and enjoy ourselves with our loved ones - Hubby and the kids. It's been quite a while now, that the boys have not followed their old man and woman (me and hubby) for our weekly 'yum-cha' and window shopping on Sundays. Only my little girl , Angel accompanies these two old fellas......LOL
Therefore, since today is not a Sunday, but it is a holiday, I bribed the boys to go for a breakfast with us in exchange for them to play their PC games later in the afternoon, how sad right? haha.......kids nowadays, they can just sit in front of their laptop all day without having to eat, drink, pee and poo........how shocking , right?
What can I say, internet rules the world now!!
Anyway, after coming home from our breakfast, that was around 1pm, I decided to bake something for afternoon tea later, since MiL is out playing her mahjong, which means that dinner time will be delayed , hehe :P


I decided to bake this Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake that I have listed down to bake months back. Well, nothing special about this cake, just that I love lemon and this bag of "blue Poopy seeds" were given to me by my MiL months back too.......and I hate to see it sitting in the cupboard without being touched. So, that is how and why this cake was being chose.




Here's the recipe :-


LEMON POPPY SEED POUND CAKE
(Yield 8" inch Round baking pan)


Ingredients
200gm butter, softened
250gm SRF
5 eggs, room temperature
200gm castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 Tbsp evaporated milk 
3 Tbsp lemon juice
Zest of one lemon
30gm poppy seeds ( I used blue poppy seeds)


Method 

  1. Pre heat oven to 175~Celsius, greased and line the bottom and sides of an 8" round baking pan with parchment paper.
  2. In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, about 4-5 mins on medium speed.
  3. Add in the lightly beaten eggs, portion by portion, making sure that its fully incorporated.
  4. Add in the vanilla , milk , lemon juice and zest, one at a time and see that it's completely mixed in.
  5. Sift in the SRF , mixing well on medium speed until fully incorporated. Pour in the poppy seed and lightly fold in.
  6. Pour batter into the prepared baking tin, and bake for 1hr 15 minutes or until the skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  7. Put it on a wire rack to cool, and then take it out of the baking tin, slice and serve.
Enjoy!!

Conclusion, I would say this cake is medium moist, nice texture and not too sweet, I like it at this sweetness, and the poppy seed with lemon is a perfect combination. Give it a try and tell me about your preference :)

Happy Baking!






No comments: