Wow! I have been wanting to make this for so long that it has been sitting in my "To Bake" list for ages.......luckily before the year 2011 ends, I finally attempted it and with success! Phew ;P
It's not something that is very special or what , it's just something that I wanted to bake and try it out, but just couldn't find the time to do it , sigh!! Enough said about my time management.....duh!!
Anyway, this is a good recipe, yields a very moist brownie and the cheese layer on top just makes it even tastier....don't really know how to define it. However, credits goes to this site , where I found the recipe :) Thanks Rima for the yummy brownies , cheers!
I made this for New Years Eve as we are having some guests to the house, and MiL was worried that there wouldn't be enough dessert after the main courses. So I assured her that this will be a hit and surely it was, of course , besides the Buco Salad earlier, hehehe...... According to MiL, all the guests kept praising these two desserts and also the Cheese Baked Rice, that was all prepared by, yours truly ME.....*blushing*
Ok lah, enough of praising, let's get into business, LOL.....I mean baking :P
MARBLE CHEESE BROWNIES
Ingredients for Brownies
250gm butter, room temperature
1 cup cocoa powder, good quality ones definitely makes a difference;
3 eggs (Grade B)
1.5 cups castor sugar
1/2 cups evaporated milk
1.5 cups flour (I used HK Flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven at 175~Celsius, grease and line a 10" x 10" brownie pan.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, and mix in the cocoa powder. Stir well to blend.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate soda , set aside.
- Hand whisk the eggs and sugar until combine, add in the butter cocoa mixture and mix well.
- Add in the evaporated milk, and then the flour, bit by bit and stir until well combine. Lastly add in the vanilla extract.
- Before you pour the batter into the pan, keep 2 - 3 Tbsp of the batter for the marble effect later. Pour the remaining batter into the pan and bake for 20 - 30 minutes.
- While waiting for the brownies to be baked, prepare the cheese layer.
Ingredients for Cheese Marble Layer:
250gm Cream Cheese (I used Philadelphia Brand), room temperature
1 cup castor sugar
1 egg (Grade B)
- Beat cream cheese until light and creamy.
- Add in sugar and beat well.
- Add in the egg and mix till well combined.
- Pour onto the baked brownies, then pipe on the 2 - 3 Tbsp brownie batter that was left aside just now on top in vertical lines, and using a toothpick, scale it lightly to create the marble effect.
- Bake it for another 20 minutes , let it cool on the pan for about 10 minutes before taking it out and cool on the wire rack. Cut it into squares and it's ready to serve.
Till then, Happy baking!!