As promised in my previous post, this is the batch of Baked Mooncakes that I baked using Alexandra's recipe too. I ever made baked mooncakes last year, but the skin turned out to be a bit hard and dry after baked. So, this year, I consulted a few friends and also search the net for a few more tips and method and recipes to try on. However, after seeing and tried alex's mooncakes, I really liked it and the textures are just like the store bought ones, hehe ;)
Here's again, thanking Alex for the sharing and also for inviting me to her house for a hands on lesson on mooncake baking .
|'Hello Kitty Mold' baked Mooncakes with Red Bean Paste filling........just for Angelica|
Here is the recipe for the 'Baked Mooncakes' and if you are free, you can always hop into Alex's blog to check it out, she has lots of yummy recipes to share with you all too!
300gm Superfine / HK Flour
250gm Sugar Syrup / Golden Syrup
50gm Cooking Oil (I used Canola Cooking oil)
1/2 Tbsp Alkaline Water
- Mix sugar syrup , cooking oil and alkaline water together in a clean bowl with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Mix in sifted flour, and fold in until all well combined and a dough is form. Cover and rest for 3-4 hours.
- Divide the skin dough and the paste filling according to the mold you use ( For eg: 160gm Mold will use a 40gm skin dough and 120gm paste filling) and shaped them into a ball. (Scale : 25% skin to 75% filling)
- Roll out the skin dough in between two sheets of plastic wrap / parchment paper and pick it up, rest it on your palm, and take a piece of the paste filling, place it in the centre, and wrap it up, sealing the seams.
- Dust the mold with some extra flour, knock them out, and place the mooncake into it.
- Press on it using the palm of your hand to smooth and firm it up, and then knock it against the table top counter to release it. (Tips: Remember to put the side with the seam / opening facing upwards). Place it on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Continue with the rest of the skin and filling dough until finish.
- Pre-heat oven to 170 degree Celsius (fan-based) and set the rack in the centre of the oven.
- Lightly spray the mooncakes with some water using a sprayer and sent to bake for 5 minutes. Take it out and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Lightly brush with eggwash (1 egg yolk + 1 Tbsp water) and bake again for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take it out and let it cool completely before storing it in a container. (Tips: Baked mooncakes are meant to be 'aged' for at least 1-2 days before consuming , as it will looks very much nicer in color and taste better.)
Happy Mooncake Baking!!