Friday, August 19, 2011

Bread Pudding


Sounds familiar to you? For me , this is the first time I make Bread pudding, and in fact I have never try bread pudding before, although I have seen them very often at hotel buffet counters at the Dessert corner. I always wondered what does it taste like and is it good or not.........but never had the urgency to scoop some into my dessert plate and try it *tongue*
What makes me made this ? Well, I think it's because I was browsing my cookbooks and files, and came across this bread pudding recipe that I have collected and kept for so long, but never have the intention to make it. I asked my sister-in-law if she would try my bread pudding if I make one, and her reply was......."erm, I don't really like bread that is soggy and wet".....I totally understand , as I don't too, hehe.
Anyway, my mind was so set to making it that I even brought home the last leftover 4 pieces of bread from the office just so that I have everything that is required in the recipe to make this bread pudding.
I bake this on a Friday night after dinner and wondered if I will test it right away , or maybe kept it for tomorrow's breakfast??


Anyway, here is the recipe for a simple 'Bread Pudding' with 'Vanilla Pudding Sauce'
This is the original recipe, as I halve it when I made it.

Ingredients:
8 slices of white bread
85gm sultanas (I used raisins instead)
113gm brown sugar
3 cups whole milk
3 large eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp salt
butter , for buttering the bread and greasing the baking dish

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
  2. Evenly grease an oven proof baking dish.
  3. Butter each slices of the bread on both sides, then cut each slice into 4 triangle.
  4. Place a layer of the buttered bread on the bottom of the dish, slightly overlapping each triangle.
  5. Sprinkle the sultanas (raisins) and brown sugar evenly across the bread for the second layer.
  6. Continue to layer the bread , the sultanas (raisins) and brown sugar until all the bread are used up.
  7. Sprinkle the top of the pudding with sultanas (raisins) and sugar
  8. Beat together the milk, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla extract and salt. Pour the mixture on top of everything. Allow it to stand for 30 minutes so the liquid is fully absorbed.
  9. Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.

Vanilla Pudding Sauce 
1 cup whole milk
2 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup castor sugar (or brown sugar)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp flour
Dash of salt

Method:
Mix everything together and bring to a boil for about 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly. Set aside for 5 minutes, then pour on warm bread pudding and serve hot.




I hope you like it, as I have learn to eat bread pudding now, and kinda like it too. I would agree to what they use to say, 'Bread Pudding' would be perfect to be served when the weather is cold and wet, it's very heart warming........and tummy warming too , hehe :)

Happy Bread Pudding Baking, cheers!

No comments: