Oh OK, tomorrow is my birthday.........I'm going to gain another year of wisdom and another countless strands of grey hair........and even maybe a few tiny 'crow's feet at the corner of my eyes. *Sigh* .........hehe
Kidding!! I'm not at all worried about that......but well, that's normally what a woman would be thinking on their birthday right.......in fact, I have been very 'rajin' nowadays with my beauty regime, I make sure I apply my night cream before I hit the sack every night, no matter how tired I am, unlike those days, when I just hop right into bed and worry about that later......*tongue*
Then I have invested quite a packs on face masks and making sure I scrub my face at least twice a week to remove dead skin and to refine my pores. Ya, ya, Hubby have been questioning me on why the sudden urgency in pampering my face.....kekekeke......."your wife knows that growing old is something I can't stop, but at least I wanna grow old in a 'pretty' way", that's what I answered him *wink*
Enough of my babbling on mask and scrubs and growing old, it happens every year at this time, LOL......bear with me ya! So, coming back to what's happening in the kitchen........well, I decided to not bake a cake for myself this year, nor a cupcake like last year. Enough of cakes and cupcakes..........why not something simple, something that I can just dunk into my morning coffee and still feels the 'satisfaction' of a good 'wake-up call' early in the morning!!??
Yeah!! I got what I wanted to bake........and I have it in my fridge from the leftovers from last week.........hehe, are you thinking what I'm thinking? Yes, the 'ready-made' packet of puff pastry!! I still have a packet in there and I 'd better use it before it expires! I collected this recipe from here and haven't actually had the chance to bake it, so today is defintiely 'D~day!!'
Here's the recipe, it's super easy if you are using 'ready-made' puff pastry, but I would agree that if you attempt to make your own puff pastry, that would be even better :)
ALMOND PUFF FINGERS
1 pack of 'ready-made' Puff Pastry
2 Tbsp of Egg white
2 Tbsp of Castor sugar (i)
80gm Almond flakes ( mine are lightly toasted already)
2 Tbsp Castor sugar (ii)
- Take out your Puff pastry from the freezer and thaw for about 8-10 minutes.
- Roll it out to about a thickness of 5mm on 2 sheets of parchment paper or Clingwrap.
- Mix egg white with castor sugar (i) and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Peel upper sheet of plastic or parchment paper and spread egg white mixture evenly on top of puff pastry.
- Sprinkle almond flakes evenly on top of the pastry. Place the parchment paper or plastic back on top and lightly roll over with a rolling pin to press the almond flakes onto the pastry.
- Remove the parchment paper or plastic sheet , and sprinkle remaining castor sugar (ii) over the almond flakes.
- Put the pastry into the freezer for about 30 minutes to let the topping set.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius (fan-base oven) or normal over to 200 degree Celsius for about 15 minutes.
- Cut the pastry into finger size and then place them onto non-greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 180 degree Celsius for about 12 minutes and then turn the temperature down to 140 degree Celsius and bake for another 30 minutes.
Lastly, I would say, I like this snacks, and it really makes my coffee break more tasteful and I suggest you give it a try.........till then, cheers to more baking!!
Happy "Almond Puff Fingers" baking!!