Yes, today is "Happy Father's Day" …..so happy, happy Father's Day to all the daddies in the world….and most of all, to the 2 daddies in the house, my Hubby and my FiL….hehe :P I missed my dad so much , every year when it's Father's Day, I'll have very deep thoughts of him, it always feels like he has just gone not so long ago, but in fact this is the 13th year already ………..that's why I people always says 'Time flies so that it heals those who are hurt'…….God bless you Dad and I'll always love you ^_^
I haven't been making cheesecakes lately, I think the last one I did was an order made by a friend to be gifted as an "anniversary cake" to her client. So, I decided to make cheesecake for this occasion as you might still remember me quoting that MiL bought a box of oranges few days ago? Hehe………this is another excuse of using those oranges as an ingredient in one of my bakes again.
Orange + Cheese = Orange Cheesecake…….perfect! I already love the sound of it, as I'm a citrus fan myself, so any food with a citrus blend in it is my cup of tea…..LOL
I chose the recipe from my cookbook – 'The Ultimate Indulgence Cheesecake' by Chef Alan Kok. It's a really rich cheesecake but perfect with a blend of fresh orange juice and the taste is just nice…..that doesn't make you feel each piece is as heavy as it is ;)
1 slice 8 inch chocolate sponge cake
(By the way, I substituted the sponge cake base with a biscuit base instead)
-150gm Digestive biscuits, crushed
-70gm butter, melted in a double-boiler
To make the biscuit base - Mix the crushed biscuits with the melted butter, mix well. Then pour it into a lined 8 inch cake tin and pressed to the base until firm and smooth. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
Cream cheese mixture:
500gm cream cheese, softened to room temperature
2 egg yolks
1 orange, squeezed juice
Zest of 1 orange Tbsp orange liquor / rum (Optional)
50gm plain flour, sieved
2 egg whites
90gm castor sugar
- Preheat oven to 200 degree Celsius. Line and 8 inch round cake tin with grease proof paper and put in a piece of prepared sponge cake.
- Cream the cream cheese, egg yolks and milk until smooth. Add in orange juice, orange zest, orange liquor / rum is using, plain flour and stir until well mixed and smooth.
- Whisk egg whites and castor sugar at high speed until stiff peak is formed (about 5-7 minutes). Fold the egg whites into cream cheese mixture in 3 batches slowly.
- Pour the mixture onto the sponge cake and level the surface.
- Steam bake the cheesecake in the preheated oven at 200 degree Celsius for 15 minutes or until the surface is lightly brown. Reduce the temperature to 150 degree Celsius and bake for another 50 minutes or until cooked. Turn off the heat. Leave cake to cool in the oven with door ajar for 1 hour by placing a wooden spoon at the oven door.
- Remove the cake from the tin after 1 hour of cooling, and chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours before decorating or serve.
Happy Cheesecake baking !