Another posting on bread and buns……gosh! Am I glad that there's this long holiday going on in May……I can almost bake bread and buns everyday :P My family has almost all the members a big fan of bread and buns, so making it will not have me worry that it will be kept for days and then ended up in the bin. This time I let the kids decide what they want the filling to inside the buns…….and they requested , "mayonnaise with ham with mozzarella cheese and some extra cheese for topping……….wah! so fulfilling oh…..OK! here you go kids…all for you guys this time!!
Well, you can too come up with your own favourite fillings. The 'Sweet Bun Dough / Straight Dough is also taken from "Alex Goh's The World of Bread" cookbook and you can refer here for the recipe….. …..Happy buns baking again ;)
MAYO, HAM AND CHEESE BUNS
For the Filling
6 pieces of Tulip Cooked Ham / Chicken Ham / Turkey Ham, cut into small squares
3 Tbsp of Mayonnaise
A dash of salt and pepper to taste
Some grated Mozzarella Cheese
Some grated Cheddar Cheese for topping
1 Egg for egg wash
- Mix the cut ham and mayonnaise together in a clean bowl.
- Add in the grated Mozzarella cheese and mix well. Put in the salt and pepper to taste. Set aside until ready to use.
- Mix (A) till well blended.
- Add (B) and knead to form a dough. (Remember to add the water bit by bit until you can get the dough to not stick to your hands, and not too soft. Sometimes you might find that you don't need to use all the water, because different flour brand, has different water absorption level).
- Add (C), continue to knead to form a smooth and elastic dough.
- Cover the dough with clear film or a damp kitchen towel. Let it prove for 50-60 minutes, or until it double its size.
- Use your finger, dip into flour and press into the centre of the dough. It should show a clear finger dip mark, but the dough should not sink. The finger mark should stay there too.
- Divide the dough into 60gm portions, mould them into balls and let them rest for 10 minutes.
- Flatten the dough balls lightly using the palm of your hand on a flat work surface to release out all the air bubbles, and mould it into a round shape.
- Fill in the Mayo, Ham and Cheese filling, about 1 tsp in the centre, and using your fingers to seal the opening .
- Put them on the baking tray, lightly greased, and let it prove for about 30 – 40 minutes, or until double in size again.
- Eggwash the top of the buns, and sprinkle some grated Cheddar Cheese on top.
- Bake at preheat oven at 190~C in the middle of the oven for 12-15 minutes. Serve.