Thursday, May 13, 2010

MULBERRY CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING


This is going to be another of those 'first time experience' for me, as I have never baked using fresh berries before……though I have always wanted to do so….but staying in a country that has a humid and summer all year round climate…..where could you get fresh berries?...….I meant really fresh, plucked from the farm or your garden...…..berries??? hehe…..I finally get this kind of experience although I'm not the one who plucked it (Mulberries), my in-laws did it at one of my Hubby's aunt's house. She has this Mulberry tree growing in her garden and it has its season for bearing fruits, according to her. This time, my in-laws went to her house for a visit and it just happened that 'it is' the time of the year that it bears fruits. My MiL said she was having fun plucking those fresh and lovely Mulberries from the tree. I can imagine how fun it was……….imagining you are in a Mulberry farm, having a basket in your hand, and plucking the ripe Mulberries from its tree………that would be such a lovely scene ^_^
So, she plucked and plucked and came home with a small basket of it…….but doesn't really know what to do with it…….blend it for juice, make Mulberry Jam…..or??? As my Hubby's aunt said Mulberries fruits has a lot of goodness too……..if you are interested to look up at the internet to find out. When I came home from work, my MiL told me to take a look at these berries and see what I can do with it…………..well, as of now, you should know me very well, whatever came to my head or my mind first...…..it will be "Baking" LOL.
I was so convinced that these Mulberries will be a good bake no other than Blueberries, Strawberries and any other berries………as they are all berries :P Well, in fact, it is! I used one of the recipe in my collection that actually calls for Blueberries and happily substituted it for Mulberries. Guess what, the caketurned out perfect, it's moist and with a sense of Spring………and I just love the little tangy taste of the Mulberries juice  at the after baked, that it sipped out from the fruit on each little piece of the cut cake. The color of the cake was awesome too…….very fresh and you just wanted to take a bite by looking at it. Then I added the Cream Cheese Frosting with a few drops of Lemon Juice, spread it on the top of the cake, it blends in really well with the cake and it tastes ………….GREAT!! You should try baking this at home, I mean maybe you can't get Mulberries, but well, hey……..as long as you get any kinds of berries……..they should turn out this way…………………so Happy "Berries" Baking ^_^


Mulberry Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients for the Cake
60gm    Unsalted butter
50gm    castor sugar
1     egg
½ tsp    vanilla extract
75gm    all-purpose flour
1¼ tsp    baking powder (I opted this because I'm using SRF)
¼ tsp    salt
50gm     sour cream
1½ tsp milk
55gm     fresh or frozen Mulberries or any berries you prefer


Frosting
60gm icing cugar
40gm butter, softened
80gm cream cheese, softened
Fresh mulberries for decorating

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 180~C and lightly greased a 15cm tube or bundt tin, set aside. Sift the flour, salt and baking powder together, set aside.
  2. Put the butter and sugar in a bowl, beat with hand mixer until light and fluffy.
  3. Add the vanilla, and egg, beating well after each addition. Fold in the flour mixture and mix well.
  4. Add the sour cream and milk and mix well until combine. Stir in the Mulberries into the batter, and pour the batter into the prepared mould.
  5. Bake until the cake is golden brown, and the cake spring bake when touched, about 25 - 30 minutes. Let the cake cool completely before frosting it.


6.Make the frosting: Beat the confectioners' sugar and butter together, add the cream cheese and (I added a few drops of Lemon juice – it's optional), beat until the frosting is light and fluffy. Frost the cake with the frosting and decorate with fresh Mulberries.
<><>

No comments: