Oh yes, 'Happy Mother's Day" to you all and as Learn2Bake is celebrating Happy Mother's Day with all the members, we are having a challenge tied in to create cupcakes for this occasion. I haven't been making cupcakes lately ( I think the last cupcakes I made for this year was during CNY) and was a bit 'shaky' when piping the buttercream on the cupcakes……LOL, I hope I get them dressed up decent enough, well……..at least presentable to be posted in this blog and also to presented to a dear friend for Happy Mother's Day…..and of course for the Learn2Bake May album ^_^
There are 2 types of cupcakes flavor featured and also 2 types of buttercream to match the cupcakes…….Lemon Cupcakes & Chocolate Cupcakes and as for the frosting, we have Lemon Cream Cheese Buttercream and Chocolate Buttercream.
This year Mother's Day was a bit of a memorable and special one for me, as I have never baked and sent my cupcakes to anyone before…….this year, I made the Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Buttercream and sent them to a dear friend (AO) for Happy Mother's Day..........I have just known her through the L2B Club and I knew we have something in common and I guess we will be good friends in the future. I wish her and her family will have a very warm and Happy Mother's Day…..xoxo
This year's Happy Mother's Day was a bit busy for me, so I managed to only make one batch of the cupcakes and so the Chocolate ones I didn't get the time to do it. Here are the recipe for the Lemon Cupcakes and also the Lemon Cream Cheese Buttercream recipe that I have selected.
Ingredients (Yields 12 regular size cupcakes)
115gm unsalted butter, room temperature
180 – 200gmcastor sugar (please adjust to your own preference)
3 large eggs
190gm all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup milk
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
zest of one lemon
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
2. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Measure out the milk and vanilla.
5. Add flour mixture and milk alternatively, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
6. Mix in lemon juice.
7. Scoop the batter into the cupcake cups to 2/3 full. Tap the cupcake cups on the table to ensure the batter fills the bottom. Bake at 350~F / 180~C for 20 -25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting (enough to lightly frost 12-14 cupcakes)
113gm unsalted butter, room temperature
170gm of Philadelphia Cream Cheese
190 – 250gm sifted icing sugar
½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
½ tsp grated lemon zest
1. Beat butter at medium speed until creamy.
2. Add cream cheese and beat until combined.
3. Sift ½ cup of the icing sugar into the butter and cream cheese.
4. Add the lemon juice and zest. Beat until combined.
5. Add more sugar until you get to the consistency and sweetness you like. You might not need all the icing sugar required.
6. Scoop the icing into a disposable piping bag with your selection of tip and you are ready to frost.
Tip: Always let the cupcakes cool down to room temperature before frosting.
Happy Mother’s Day to All Mothers and Happy Cupcakes baking….xoxo