Saturday, April 24, 2010

YO-YO Cookies with Buttercream Filling



Ian is going to a friend's house to do some school project and he politely asked me if I can bake something for him to bring over to his friend's house…..like cookies J. Of course, I'd be delighted to if you think Mummy's food is good enough to be presented in front of your friends, I said………^_^ and he assured me that he is very proud of my creation……LOL……thanks dear. So I baked him some 'Yo-Yo Cookies' which I think would be perfect for the kids as its soft and sweet and has a filling sandwiched in it……..where I personally think kids just loved sandwich cookies. I can still remember my 4 kids……..whenever they eat OREOs …..they would open up the cookie and licked off the vanilla cream first before they eat the cookie…….haha…….so I bet this would be a good choice ;)It's really easy to make and with this recipe, I managed to get 16 pairs of Yo-Yos……..the only thing is I find the cookies a bit sweet when the buttercream filling was in it, so maybe the next time I make, I'll cut down on the sugar from the cookie recipe from 60gm to 40gm instead (you might want to take note of this too). By the way, you can even sandwich with whatever filling you like……example: strawberry jam, peanut butter, chocolate ganache and etc…….
Here's the recipe and hey, do get your kids to involve in the sandwiching…..they'll have fun and mine were mostly done by Angelica…….LOL
Happy Yo-Yo Cookies baking J


YO-YO Cookies with Buttercream Filling

Ingredients
125g unsalted butter, softened
100g ghee
60g icing sugar (can be reduced)
120g plain flour
120g self-raising flour
60g custard powder


Icing Filling
80g unsalted butter, softened
110g icing sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Lined two baking sheets with parchment paper, and set aside.
2. Sift together plain flour, self-raising flour and custard powder, set aside.
3. Cream butter, ghee and icing sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in flour mixture to form a soft dough.
4. Divide dough into about 25g each, about 24 - 25 portions. Roll each into a ball and place on a baking tray. Use the prongs of a fork to flatten the balls.
5. Bake for about 15- 20 minutes. They will still appear soft to the touch. As the freshly baked biscuits are quite fragile, cool for 5 – 7 minutes on the tray when they have hardened a bit, before removing to a cooling rack.
6. Once cold, pipe a little filling onto the flat side of half the biscuits, and sandwich it together with another biscuit to make a Yo-Yo.


Icing Filling:Cream together butter, icing sugar and vanilla until soft and fluffy. Fill into a piping bag fixed with a star nozzle (I just used a palette knife to spread the buttercream, hehe, lazy lah to use a piping bag)


Happy Yo-Yo Cookies Baking !


No comments: